Announcement: 27 December 1832
Construction Commencement: 5 June 1833
Dedication: 27 March 1836 by Joseph Smith, Jr.
Within two years after being dedicated, the Saints had largely abandoned Kirtland. The Kirtland temple was then used for various venues, and even to house animals until in 1880 when the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now known as Community of Christ), established ownership. The building was then restored as closely as possible to its original condition.
The Kirtland temple was the first temple erected in this dispensation. It is currently owned and operated by the Community of Christ (the former Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), and is open for tours to members of all faiths.