At the last General Conference a talk was given by Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. about the Book of Mormon. This talk inspired me to make a list of significant chapters and verses in the Book of Mormon that testify of Jesus Christ. This is certainly not a complete list as Jesus is referred to nearly four-thousand times throughout the Book of Mormon.
- Starting at the Title Page it says “And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God”.
- 2nd Nephi 2:6: “redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth.”
- On to 2nd Nephi 25:19: talking about the birth of Christ it says “his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God”.
- 2nd Nephi 31 tells of being baptism in Christ’s name: “witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism”
- Into Mosiah 3:8,12, “and he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary… For salvation cometh to none such except it be through repentance and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Then in chapter 16 verse 8: “there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ”
- Then verse 13: “remember that only in and through Christ ye can be saved”
- Now onto chapter 18: “may the Spirit of the Lord be poured out upon you; and may he grant unto you eternal life, through the redemption of Christ, whom he has prepared from the foundation of the world”
- Alma 5:48 states: “I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth.”
- Alma Chapter 34 shows the testimony of Amulek, especially verse 8: “I say unto you, that I do know that Christ shall come among the children of men, to take upon him the transgressions of his people, and that he shall atone for the sins of the world”
- Helaman 5:9: “remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world.”
- We certainly cannot forget about 3rd Nephi 9:15 when Jesus speaks to his disciples in North America: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.”
- Jesus’s speech continues on through 3rd Nephi 11 when Jesus appears in the flesh: “Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.”
- in 3rd Nephi 27:3-7 we learn that Jesus’s church is called after his name: “whoso taketh upon him my name, and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day. Therefore, whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name; therefore ye shall call the church in my name; and ye shall call upon the Father in my name that he will bless the church for my sake.”
- I’ll round this out with Mormon 7:5 telling us to believe in Christ: “Know ye that ye must come to the knowledge of your fathers, and repent of all your sins and iniquities, and believe in Jesus Christ, that he is the Son of God”
And remember, Jesus is the Mark.