Announcement: 6 October 1876
Site Dedication: 18 May 1877 by Orson Pratt
Groundbreaking: 18 May 1877 by John W. Young
Dedication: 17–19 May 1884 by John Taylor
Public Open House: 5 February–3 March 1979
Rededication: 13–15 March 1979 by Spencer W. Kimball
The Logan Utah Temple sits on a nine acre site and has over 100,000 sq. ft. of floor space between fives stories; including four muraled, progressive-style ordinance rooms originally designed for live presentations of the endowment ceremony. It was built entirely by volunteer labor between 1877 and 1884. Sitting on an elevated terrace within an entire city block, it is visible for miles throughout Utah’s Cache Valley. It has gardens and fountains on the east side and a grassy hill on the west.
The exterior walls were originally painted an off-white color, but In the early 1900s the paint was allowed to weather away, uncovering the dark, rough-hewn limestone seen today. Fire broke out in the Logan Utah Temple, on the evening of December 4, 1917, in the southeast staircase, destroying several windows and paintings, and smoke and water damage requiring extensive repairs. Sixty years later, it was completely gutted and rebuilt inside. The two-year project replaced the progressive-style live ordinances with video, and resulted in the loss of the original all volunteer pioneer craftsmanship.