Announcement: 9 November 1871
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 9 November 1871 by Brigham Young
Private Dedication: 1 January 1877 by Erastus Snow
Dedication: 6–8 April 1877 by Daniel H. Wells
Public Open House: 15–25 October 1975
Rededication: 11–12 November 1975 by Spencer W. Kimball
The St. George Utah Temple is the oldest operating temple of the Church. It was not only the first built in Utah it is also the only temple completed during Brigham Young’s 30-year tenure as president of the Church. It has 18 sealing rooms (not all are in active use), giving it more sealing rooms than any other temple in the Church. The original tower was badly damaged by a lightning storm about a year after the dedication. A new taller and more majestic tower was completed several years later. The St. George Utah Temple was privately dedicated on January 1, 1877, in a series of three dedicatory prayers: the baptistry by Wilford Woodruff, the main floor by Erastus Snow, and the sealing room by Brigham Young, Jr. The St. George Utah Temple is the first temple where endowments for the dead were performed.