Announcement: 4 April 1999
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 24 October 1999 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House: 6 May–22 June 2002
Dedication: 27–30 June 2002 by Gordon B. Hinckley
The Nauvoo Illinois Temple was originally dedicated 30 April 1846, and the first in this dispensation to have ordinances such as eternal marriage and baptism for the dead performed; however it was destroyed shortly there after. The Church reacquired the property in 1937, but it wasn’t until April of 1999 that plans were announced to rebuild on the original historic temple site. While the rebuilt temple is a replica of the original some more modern adaptations were made from the original. Unlike most Latter-day Saint temples, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple and its statue of the angel Moroni face west.