Announcement: 3 October 1919
Site Dedication: 28 November 1921 by Heber J. Grant
Groundbreaking: 25 April 1922 by Heber J. Grant
Public Open House: Tours offered during the last two years of construction
Dedication: 23–26 October 1927 by Heber J. Grant
Public Open House: 19 March–3 April 1975
Rededication: 15–16 April 1975 by Spencer W. Kimball
The Mesa Arizona Temple anchors a historic district as it sits just East of the original Mesa Townsite settled by Mormon pioneers. It sits in the middle of a 20 acre site which also hosts desert gardens with large reflection pools, and host to the largest annual outdoor Easter pageant in the world and elaborate Christmas lights with a Nativity scene during the Holiday season.
The main construction was done with concrete reinforced by 130 tons of steel, covered with glazed egg-shell colored terra cotta tiles. It is also one of only three temples built with no towers or spires (The others are the Cardston Alberta Temple and the Laie Hawaii Temple). The inside is designed around a grand staircase that leads to the Celestial Room, occupying the highest level of the temple.
It was the first to offer a non-English session when in 1945 it was presented in Spanish, and served as the primary temple for Central and South American Church members, as well as Native Americans, for many decades. This earned it the nic-name of the “Lamanite Temple”.
It was closed in February of 1974, for extensive remodeling. The ordinance rooms were fitted for motion-picture presentations. A new entrance was added and an additional 17,000 square feet to provide much larger dressing rooms more sealing rooms.