Announcement: 26 April 1838
Groundbreaking: 3 July 1837
Site Dedication: 4 July 1838 by Brigham Young
The Far West Temple site was dedicated, and the second temple commenced; however it was but never built. The cornerstones were laid on July 4, 1838 but by October the Governor, Lilburn W. Boggs’, issued the extermination order. In 1909 the LDS Church re-acquired the property and in 1968 erected a monument with the aged cornerstones preserved and displayed under protective glass.