“The revelations poured out upon Joseph Smith affirm that he was a prophet of God.” – Lawrence E. Corbridge
The revelations poured out upon Joseph Smith affirm that he was a prophet of God. Let’s just look at some of them—just look at some of the light and truth revealed through him that shines in stark contrast to the common beliefs of his day and ours:
- God is a personal, exalted being, an Eternal Father. He is our Father.
- God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are separate beings.Doctrine and Covenants 130:22
- You are more than human. You are a child of God the Eternal Father and may become like Him Doctrine and Covenants 50:24 if you will have faith in His Son, repent, receive ordinances, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. See: 2 Nephi 31 & 3 Nephi 27.
- The Church of Jesus Christ today is fundamentally the same Church He organized during His mortal ministry, with prophets and apostles, Melchizedek and Levitical Priesthoods, elders, high priests, deacons, teachers, bishops, and the seventy, all as described in the Bible.
- Priesthood authority was withheld from the earth following the deaths of the Savior and His Apostles and was restored again in our day.
- Revelation has not ceased, and the heavens are not closed. God speaks to prophets today, and He will speak to you and me as well.Moroni 10:3–5.
- There is more after this life than only heaven and hell. There are degrees of glory, and it matters a great deal what we do in this life.Doctrine and Covenants 76.
- More than having a mere passive belief in Christ, we should “look unto [Him] in every thought,”Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 “do all that [we do] in the name of the Son,”Moses 5:8 and “always remember him and keep his commandments … that [we] may always have his Spirit to be with [us].”Doctrine and Covenants 20:77
- The billions who live and die without the gospel and the ordinances necessary for salvation are not lost. “Through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,”Articles of Faith 1:3. administered for both the living and the dead.Doctrine and Covenants 76; 128; 138
- Everything did not begin at birth. You lived before in the presence of God as His son or daughter and prepared for this mortal life.Doctrine and Covenants 49:17; 138; Moses 3:5; 6:36
- Marriage and family are not conventions of men until only death do us part. They are intended to be made eternal through covenants we make with God. The family is the pattern of heaven.Doctrine and Covenants 131:1–2; 132:5–33.